Superyacht Training Courses
Western Maritime Training offers a wide range of Master (Yachts), Chief Mate (Yachts) and Officer of the Watch (Yachts) training courses listed below. In addition we also offer the entry level Engineering Officer (Yachts) qualification, the MCA 30 Hour Applied Engineering Course (AEC).
- Navigation and Radar
- General Ship Knowledge
- OOW (Yachts) Oral Preparation - Under 3000 Tonnes
Additional pre-requisite courses for an MCA Oral Examination
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Elementary First Aid
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- Proficiency in Security Awareness
- Efficient Deck Hand (EDH)
- Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational Level). HELM (O)
- GMDSS GOC (ROC may be sufficient)
- Proficency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats
Chief Mate (Yachts)
- Proficiency in Medical First Aid
- Human Element, Leadership and Management (Management Level). HELM (M)
- ECDIS - if not already completed
- Advanced Fire Fighting
- Business and Law
- Navigation, ARPA, Radar and Simulation
- Seamanship and Meteorology
- Celestial Navigation
- Master (Yachts) Oral Preparation (500 or 3000 Tonne depending on service)
- Additional pre-requisite courses for an MCA Oral Examination
If you require any further information, please phone + 44 1752 770589 or contact us.
Please note that the additional pre-requisite courses listed opposite are not required to attend any of the training courses for OOW or Master (Yachts). They are however required to apply for a Notice of Eligibility (NOE) and for your CoC oral examination.
OOW (Yachts) candidates are required to have held the Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) certificate for 18 months before the OOW CoC can be issued.
Full MCA guidance on the Requirements of Deck Officers on Large Yachts (over 24m) can be found in MSN1858.
To apply for an NOE for an MCA oral exam candidates will need to comple the application form MSF4343.
Candidates for the OOW modules, General Ship Knowledge and Navigation and Radar, will strongly benefit from pre-course study, the full syllabus can be downloaded here.