STCW Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
The STCW Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting is a 1-day update course for holders of the STCW Basic Fire certificate.
It involves both theory sessions and practical exercises in the use of breathing aparatus, hoses and extinguishers, and meets the STCW requirements for updating your original qualification and needs to be refreshed every 5 years.
Please NOTE - The STCW fire training courses will be delivered by our partner organisation STCW Fire Ltd at the Kingskerswell site near Newton Abbot TQ12 5LF. STCW Fire Ltd will issue the relevant fire certifications.
Pre- Course Requirements
- You must provide proof that you hold the STCW Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting certificate.
- You need to be medically fit - You will have to complete and sign a confidential medical declaration to make us aware of any health problems, disabilities or injuries that we may need to take into account whilst attending this physically demanding course.
The course contains but is not limited to;
- The dangers of fire on board a vessel
- Common sources of ignition and fire
- Emergency installations on board
- Engine room fires
- Types of extinguisher
- Flashover and backdraft
- Hose running
- Breathing apparatus
A mixture of theoretical classroom sessions and demonstrations mixed with practical sessions.
Candidates will use portable fire fighting equipment, fire hoses, fixed installations and breathing apparatus to tackle a number of different fire situations.
Assessment and Certification
Continuous practical assessment with full and active debriefing of exercises.
Following successful completion of the course you will receive the STCW Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (STCW A-VI/1-2) certificate.
STCW Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting Course Dates
To book onto a course click on a date, at the bottom left of the page click on 'BOOK NOW'.