STCW – Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
The Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting course forms part of the mandatory basic safety training for all seafarers.
It provides you with the essential information to understand how to minimise the risk of fires on board and to know what fire safety equipment is carried on board. You will also learn about procedures and personal safety requirements in fire situations as well as how to fight and extinguish fires on board.
Please NOTE - The STCW fire training courses will be delivered by our partner organisation STCW Fire Ltd at the Kingskerswell site near Newton Abbot TQ12 5LF. STCW Fire Ltd will issue the relevant fire certifications.
Pre- Course Requirements
- Be Medically Fit - Delegates undergoing fire fighting training will be required to complete and sign a confidential medical declaration to make us aware of any health problems, disabilities or injuries that we may need to take into account whilst attending this physically demanding course. Therefore delegates must feel healthy and physically fit to undertake such training.
The course contains but is not limited to;
- The dangers of fire on board a vessel
- Common sources of ignition and fire
- The fire triangle
- The dangers of combustion by-products, e.g. smoke, gas
- How fire spreads and fire containment
- Emergency installations on board - e.g detection & alarm, automatic extinquishers, pumps, lighting
- Engine room fires
- Types of extinguisher
- Flashover and backdraft
- Hose running
- Physiology of respiration
- Breathing apparatus
- Casualty handling
- Search and rescue
A mixture of theoretical classroom sessions and demonstrations mixed with practical sessions.
Candidates will use portable fire fighting equipment, fire hoses, fixed installations and breathing apparatus to tackle a number of different fire situations.
Assessment and Certification
Continuous practical assessment with full and active debriefing of exercises.
Following successful completion of the course you will receive an MCA approved STCW certificate in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (STCW A-VI/1-2).
STCW Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting Course Dates
To book onto a course click on a date, at the bottom left of the page click on 'BOOK NOW'.