You will all be aware that Covid 19 is a 1918 Spanish Flu like epidemic. It can be fatal to all age groups if caught. It is transmitted by coughing or sneezing and is particularly dangerous to those over 60 and those people with underlying health conditions.
We are constantly listening carefully to the latest Government advice regarding this viral outbreak. This states that it is particularly important, that anyone showing symptoms of fever or a constant dry cough, no matter how mild, should self-isolate (including family – if any) for 7 days and refrain from social or official contact. This includes not attending any courses booked with us or any other external activity involving proximity to other people. Additionally, and in any case, close social contact, which many of our course require, is advised against.
Our duty at Western Maritime Training Ltd is to ensure that you (or your employees) and our staff attend training events that are as safe as possible within the latest official guideline’s enforcements to date.
Accordingly, and in order that we all remain as safe as possible, we are mothballing our services until Government advice changes. Covid 19 is such a generic threat to the population that running face to face training is not an acceptable risk. Colleges and Universities are taking similar action.
With immediate effect our payment portals are now closed, and no further bookings will be taken. Customers already booked to courses will be offered alternative dates as soon as the situation becomes clearer. We will still be able to offer career and qualifications advice over the telephone. Please be aware that this may be limited access to this facility at times. You will be able to leave telephone messages if we are unable to talk to you immediately.
We regret having to take this action, we have operated under the same ownership and management for 24 years continuously, providing first class and value-for-money training and education. However, the safety of you and us and all our loved ones is paramount.
We look forward to being of service to you again soon.
Efficient Deck Hand - EDH
The Efficient Deck Hand course (EDH) is a theoretical and practical course that develops an understanding of shipboard organisation and operations for crewmembers with a qualified amount of experience on deck.
It is a requirement for all MCA certificates of competency with the exception of Master 200.
From 1 January 2017, all deck hands progressing towards OOW Yachts (less than 3,000GT) must have held the Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) certificate for at least 18 months before the OOW certificate of competency will be issued.
Pre- Course Requirements
Candidates must be at least 17 years of age and hold a valid ENG1 certificate.
Additionally candidates must hold at least one of the following:
- RYA or IYT Yachtmaster Offshore certificate and shorebased course.
- Yacht rating with at least six months' sea service and a steering certificate or Navigational Watch Rating (NWR) certificate
- Deck Officer Class 2 - Fishing CoC
- Seafish five day watchkeeping course for under 16.5m fishing certificates
- BML Tier 1 level 2 certificates
- Tug rating with at least six months' sea service (which may be in categorised water) and a steering certificate or a NWR certificate.
Note: before an EDH certificate can be issued a minimum of six months' sea service in vessels of more than 15m is required.
- Shipboard organisation and operations.
- Parts of a vessel, deck equipment, lookout, reporting, helm orders, anchoring and mooring arrangements.
- Pilot ladders and means of access.
- Rigging a pilot ladder, means of access, boarding arrangements.
- Cargo work.
- Hatch covers, derricks and cranes, blocks and tackles, containers and securing arrangements.
- COSWOP, IMO safety signs, enclosed spaces, fire extinguishers, lifeboat and liferaft launching.
- Rope types and construction, knots, bends and hitches, rigging a bosun’s chair and stage, rope and wire splicing, whipping and seizing, parcelling and serving.
The EDH course uses multiple practical sessions to back up the lectures, displays and demonstrations used in the classroom teaching.
Assessment and Certification
There is an oral and a practical examination at the end of the course which is carried out by an approved MCA examiner.
Successful candidates will be awarded the MCA Efficient Deck Hand Certificate.
To book, select the course you want below and click 'Book Now' on the event page.
Efficient Deck Hand Course Dates