General Data Protection Regulation
Western Maritime is Training committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using our website or speaking to us personally; you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Name and date of birth
- Contact information including email address
- Demographic information such as postcode, resident address or c/o address
- Training course history, attendance history, examination records, and personal identifying data such as National insurance numbers.
Please note: We do NOT hold any financial information such as account details, sort codes, account names, credit card details, debit card details or any other method of payment. Payments via these methods are transferred through our very secure online payment system and are invisible to us. Payment details given to us over the telephone are only used to input the required information to the secure payment system and are invisible to us after the transaction process is completed.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information by law to satisfy us or Governmental bodies or other Authorities that the certification held by individuals or companies on behalf of individuals is legitimate. It also helps Port Authorities to detect fraudulent activities.
It also provides you with a better service, in that it assists us in being able to identify you properly should you require certification assistance or other record information, particularly for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may periodically send promotional email or letters about training, which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided. You can opt out of this facility if you wish when booking online or by telephone.
- In cases where we need to contact you urgently, for example in the event of accident, course cancellation or urgent record clarification we may contact you by phone or email.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online or take over the phone.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added, and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a website. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes which is anonymous, and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over the other website. We cannot, therefore, be held responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the use of your personal information in the following way:
- We will never sell, distribute or lease your personal information to any third parties.
- Training records and associated information are held on an individual basis and NOT a company basis. If your company wants or needs access to your information this must be initiated by the individual and that individual must be able to pass our security questioning.
Record updating and issuance
We will automatically update your records and ensure to the best of our ability to accurately maintain your records.
Some certification issued by us in the past may not be held on our records. If you think this is the case, please send us copies of your certification and we will verify it and place it on your record free of charge.
We reserve the right to make a small charge for the replacement of lost or mislaid certification.